Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] Suggestions

Old 12-07-2011, 03:23 PM

UR in the cloud

I have over the years collected so much wealth of information within UR that is absolutely valuable and insightful. I have come to the point where I realized this information needs to be shared. Furthermore, I'm a firm believer that information that is confined to the physical limits of a hard disk on a PC is severely restricted. Information must flow and there is no better way for it to do so than a browser and a mobile device. I see the evidence to that everyday on the Internet. This is what the cloud is all about.

If you take the time to understand how it works, UR is extremely powerfully and , truly, your imagination is the only limit to it. However, this power only exists within the confinement of an MS windows client.

UR data resides in a relational database. Given the advance in browser technology and browser/web applications, why is Kinook not considering porting the desktop client to the cloud. These are some scenarios ...

1) Make it a cloud subscription service where users can upload their urd files and be able to navigate its content. Start with a subset of features.
2) Develop your own web client/service that can be installed on a web server.
3) Develop a mobile client for limited access to the service.

I really prefer the first option.

What do you you all think?

Thank you.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:10 PM

I second this motion.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:16 AM

Yes, that would be very useful and the first option would probably be the easiest to implement and the most attractive.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:39 PM

And how would this be different than say, Evernote?
Old 07-04-2012, 01:05 PM

Thumbs up Web Interface

I would love to see this, as well!

Any updates on potential feasibility?
Any chance this is in the development timeline?
Old 07-11-2012, 08:30 AM

@brisk - URP and EN have always overlapped to some extent. They also diverge in significant ways. A cloud aspect to URP would be a tremendous enhancement. I see no reason for the overlap in features to be a deterrent to making it so.

Or am I misreading what you wrote?

- Bal
Old 07-19-2012, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordmuse View Post
@brisk - URP and EN have always overlapped to some extent. They also diverge in significant ways. A cloud aspect to URP would be a tremendous enhancement. I see no reason for the overlap in features to be a deterrent to making it so.

Or am I misreading what you wrote?

- Bal
No you didn't misread what I wrote. It is already possible to share the UR DBs via a local network and if you use other key software, it is possible to keep UR DBs in sync across the Internet. And I'd rather other features be added that make UR more useful, than the time and energy it would take to have sync and a web client. Maybe an import/export between UR and EN?
Old 07-27-2012, 02:53 PM

I am all in favor of the roadmap being followed. Wish it was. A web client isn't high on my list, though I still see it as useful.

Synching with other machines, while useful, is not the same thing. Nor is it adequate. If I'm on a computer that isn't mine, I don't want to synch to that computer. I want access to my data in workable way. PersonalBrain offers this as do lots of other companies for lots of different applications. I see no logical reason that URP should not as well.

Again - it's not high on my list, but it is on my list.

- Bal
Old 12-24-2014, 12:32 PM

URP for Android

WOuld be nice though to access your UltraRecall files on your phone (android, Iphone, win phone). That way your data is mobile! plus you can take notes on your tablet/phone/phablet and integrate them into your notetaking system in URD...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: