Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 01-06-2017, 01:31 PM

Oddity with external editing

hi,

I like to switch back and forth between internal and external editing in UR, for text items. However i noticed something odd when I did this with a blank text item - ie when I wanted to start straightaway editing it in Word. I find when I do this, first of all, the font in Word is set to Courier New; also, when I save the document, I get a message to the effect "rtf may contain formatting not compatible with plain text"; and when I go back to UR and internal editing, I now have a Stored Document rather than a Text Item...

If the item already has some text in it it works as expected.

So, I take it when I do ctrl-J from a blank item, UR is actually creating a stored .txt file or something like that? Why the difference between a blank Text Item and one with some text in it?

It's not a massive inconvenience, but it took me a while to puzzle it out.

David_F
Old 01-06-2017, 01:41 PM
Administrator

It will create an empty .rtf file in that case. I guess Word saves as text rather than RTF format by default in that case. What you can do is modify the Text template item (and any derived templates) in UR so that it's not completely empty and has RTF content (even a single space should do).
Old 01-06-2017, 01:56 PM

thanks for clarifying. Rather than amend the template I'll probably just be aware that this happens when you externally edit a blank item - it's not something that often comes up.

cheers

David_F

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: