Kinook Software Forum

Kinook Software Forum (https://www.kinook.com/Forum/index.php)
-   [UR] General Discussion (https://www.kinook.com/Forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   memory leak (https://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=3528)

janrif 03-14-2008 02:04 PM

memory leak

I am asking the following question on 5 different forums that reflect the 5 programs I use through my work day. The question is:

Is there a memory leak in UltraRecall Pro?

Jon Polish 03-14-2008 02:18 PM

I don't see one here.

Jon

armsys 03-14-2008 09:38 PM

Re: memory leak

Quote:

Originally posted by janrif
Is there a memory leak in UltraRecall Pro?
What events lead you to believe the memory leak?
Is it a beta version?
Armstrong

janrif 03-15-2008 07:01 AM

Armstrong,

I'm on beta 3.5, most current

Nothing particular to UR, just a general slow down after a few hrs. I've posted the same question on 5 forums for the 5 programs I use daily.

Finally, I think the culprit may be FF but not quite sure yet.

armsys 03-15-2008 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by janrif
[B]Armstrong,
I'm on beta 3.5, most current
The Beta by the same version number 3.5 has been updated on March 13.
I always run four instances of huge URDs without noticeable performance deterioration.

BTW, what's FF mentioned in your post?

Armstrong

janrif 03-15-2008 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by armsys
The Beta by the same version number 3.5 has been updated on March 13.
Yes, thank you. I am running that beta
Quote:

Originally posted by armsys I always run four instances of huge URDs without noticeable performance deterioration.
This may answer my question
Quote:

Originally posted by armsys BTW, what's FF mentioned in your post?
Sorry.... Firefox

kevina 03-15-2008 09:20 AM

My experience with FF (which I believe is typical), is that keeping several tabs open will cause FF to continue using/leaking memory until it is consuming 200+ MB of memory which, if you have a relatively small amount of ram installed (I have 2GB) will undoubtedly cause performance issues... That is my main problem with FF (version 2.x), I am hoping that version 3.0 (which I think is still in beta) will fix this annoying issue...

Sometimes I will use Task Manager to "kill" FF when the memory usage gets too high, then restart it (which preserves the open tabs).

On the other hand, if I simply want to keep the multiple FF tab urls for future use/reading, or want to restart Windows, I simply hold the Shift key when clicking the Store or Link UR toolbar button (in FF) and put them all into UR :)

janrif 03-15-2008 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by kevina
My experience with FF (which I believe is typical), is that keeping several tabs open will cause FF to continue using/leaking memory until it is consuming 200+ MB of memory [snip] if I simply want to keep the multiple FF tab urls for future use/reading, or want to restart Windows, I simply hold the Shift key when clicking the Store or Link UR toolbar button (in FF) and put them all into UR :)
Aha. That's probably it. Damn good advice. Thanks.