Kinook Software Forum

Kinook Software Forum (https://www.kinook.com/Forum/index.php)
-   [UR] Suggestions (https://www.kinook.com/Forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Read only (https://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=5146)

HippyCraig 04-01-2013 10:28 AM

Read only

Is there a way to make a specific item Read Only, this way its not accidently edited unless I enable Read Write for that item. Is there an attribute that I can change to make this happen?

kinook 04-01-2013 05:59 PM

No, there isn't a way to do that.

HippyCraig 04-02-2013 07:46 AM

Ok thanks, is this something that can be put on a wish list. Sometimes I store scripts in UR and I want to view them but I don't want them accidently edited. There are other items I would like to use in this manner as well, so a blanketed blocking of editing a file time doesn't work.

Jon Polish 04-02-2013 11:05 AM

You could link to read only files. I know it is not exactly the way you would like to do this, but it will keep your scripts safe.

Jon

HippyCraig 04-02-2013 11:56 AM

Thanks, but this file isn't linked its stored in UR, and would like the ability to keep it read only until I need to edit it. If there was an attribute that would set the item to read only and then if I needed to edit it flip it to read write, make the change and flip it back to Read only again.

Jon Polish 04-02-2013 12:49 PM

I understand what you are asking for and agree it would be nice to have. However if you are concerned about safeguarding your work, you can export the item to a file, mark it as read only, then link it to UR. It is only a workaround, but it beats losing some code you spent time developing.

It seems that the pace of development is nonexistent, so unless this is an easy addition to UR (I don't see why not), I would not expect to see it soon, if ever.

Jon

ktibor 04-05-2013 08:55 AM

Workaround for readonly item

There is a workaround for you: a .htm type document template.

1. Create a simple local htm file (e.g. x.htm) with minimal html content.
2. Import this file in your database under Templates item.
Be sure to import as stored document
(e.g. drag and drop file to Templates item while pressing Ctrl key)
3. Modify the URL attribute value of the imported item. New value: .htm
4. Edit the Item Title of the new template item (e.g. Html_doc).
You can delete the local file.
----------------
5. Create a new info item based on the new template Html_doc
6. Select menu item: Item | Edit web page (Ctrl+Shift+0) (=enable editing)
7. Edit content in Item Details pane
8. Select menu item: Item | Edit web page (Ctrl+Shift+0) (=disable editing)

Use step 5 to create readonly html items.
Use steps 6-8 to edit and protect again.

Recommended setting:
unchecked "Automatically begin editing web page items when selected" (Tools/Options/Documents)

HippyCraig 04-05-2013 09:12 AM

Thanks everyone for their input, I will give these suggestions a try, but this is just a work around. I was hoping to hear back from Kinook directly if this is something they can add to a future release.

kinook 04-05-2013 09:33 AM

We moved the thread to the Suggestions forum and added the request to our issue database.

HippyCraig 06-17-2013 02:49 PM

In another thread you mentioned an update will be coming out soon: coming out soon

Will this read only feature item Property be included in this release?

kinook 06-17-2013 05:32 PM

Yes, it will be.

wordmuse 06-17-2013 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kinook (Post 20378)
Yes, it will be.

Cool - As Frank-N-Furter said in a different context: I am "waiting with antici-

-pation." :)

- Bal

HippyCraig 06-18-2013 08:11 AM

Fantastic!!!!! I am so looking forward to having that feature!!!

Thanks!!!!!!

HippyCraig 06-19-2013 11:57 AM

The new feature works GREAT!!!!!

Thanks so much, this is a life saver, I have a lot of scripts that I store here, and this will insure that all the work I have done to create them will not be accidentally modified.