Kinook Software Forum

Kinook Software Forum (https://www.kinook.com/Forum/index.php)
-   [UR] General Discussion (https://www.kinook.com/Forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Displaying "grandchildren" of parent items (https://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=3307)

LM7 12-11-2007 09:50 AM

Displaying "grandchildren" of parent items

Sometimes I have a parent item with children, each of which itself has other child items. For example, I sometimes divide a project into sub-projects, which are its child items, and each of these sub-projects in turn has its own child items - the steps necessary to complete each of these sub-projects.

Is there any way to formulate a search (presumably, an advanced search) in a manner which would automatically display all of the children and "grandchildren" of the original parent item, without having to manually specify the titles of the children of the original parent (e.g., Subproject 1 and Subproject 2) in the search request?

janrif 12-11-2007 12:35 PM

Re: Displaying "grandchildren" of parent items

Quote:

Originally posted by LM7
Sometimes I have a parent item with children, each of which itself has other child items. For example, I sometimes divide a project into sub-projects, which are its child items, and each of these sub-projects in turn has its own child items - the steps necessary to complete each of these sub-projects.

Is there any way to formulate a search (presumably, an advanced search) in a manner which would automatically display all of the children and "grandchildren" of the original parent item, without having to manually specify the titles of the children of the original parent (e.g., Subproject 1 and Subproject 2) in the search request?

Have you added a keyword or something else which identifies them all of the same project?

The related pane where you would see search results only returns a flat view.

Possibly someone else has a better answer.

PureMoxie 12-11-2007 01:16 PM

Try an advanced search where "Lineage matches wildcard *enough of the tree hierarchy to indicate your main project*"

For example, if your project name is "Project1" and this is unique enough to only identify that portion of the tree:

Lineage -> matches wildcard -> *Project1*

should pull in that entire branch of the tree in the search results.

LM7 12-11-2007 01:57 PM

I tried that, but it didn't work!

PureMoxie 12-11-2007 02:12 PM

Hmm, works for me. Depending on the item name, you may need to include more of the lineage to make it unique, e.g.

Lineage -> matches wildcard -> *Parent Item/Project1*

Note - the asterisks need to be in there as well.

LM7 12-11-2007 02:29 PM

Thanks - I omitted the asterisks, that's why I had the problem!

janrif 12-11-2007 03:26 PM

Didnt' know about that wildcard trick (thanks Chris) but if you are going to refer to this project often enough you could also make a favorite out of the grandparent. It may be faster. ???

dasymington 12-12-2007 06:59 AM

You could try having a saved search as a child of the project item and tick the Limit search to siblings of current search item. That works for me.