Kinook Software Forum

Kinook Software Forum (https://www.kinook.com/Forum/index.php)
-   [UR] General Discussion (https://www.kinook.com/Forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Counterintuitive (https://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=2377)

janrif 03-14-2007 09:50 AM

Counterintuitive

I'm sorry but I find the current reminder system counterintuitive in some ways. In my head:

a reminder should lead an appointment begin date/time
a reminder should lead a *due* date/time

Is there a different way to think abou this that makes more sense or is there an option I'm missing or a suggested addiiton that would make sense to suggest from this?

Thank you.

kevina 03-15-2007 11:03 AM

A reminder does "lead" the begin date/begin time by the amount of time specified in the Reminder attribute.

So if the Begin Date = "3/15/2007" and the Begin Time = "10:00 AM", and the Reminder = 15 minutes, a reminder for the item will be displayed at "3/15/2007 9:45 AM.

This exact point in time can be displayed in the Item Attributes Pane by displaying the optional Pending Reminder attribute - done at Tools | Options | Attributes ), which reflects the actual time of any pending reminders...

Essentially then your request is for Reminders to "lead" either the Begin Date/Begin Time OR the Due Date. Here are some of the considerations (off the top of my head) to do have Ultra Recall function this way:
- if a Begin Date and Due Date are specified, which should be used?
- if the Due Date is used, and a Recurring attribute is also specified, should the Due Date be advanced, no Recurrence occur, or??
- would a Due Time attribute also be necessary to specify an exact time (vs just the Due DATE)?
- the Reminder Dialog would have to become more complicated to reflect whether due to the Begin Date or the Due Date
- etc

janrif 03-15-2007 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by kevina
[snip] Here are some of the considerations (off the top of my head) to do have Ultra Recall function this way:[/snip]
Thanks for your response. I have to think about this a bit more & consider the points you've raised but I think the basic distinction for me is that an appt has a begin date & time & a reminder has a due date. This leads me to the suggestion that perhaps there be an added attribute based on due date which is due date w or w/o reminder option.

janrif 03-15-2007 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by kevina A reminder does "lead" the begin date/begin time by the amount of time specified in the Reminder attribute. [snip]
Yes I know. I think I wrote that but not clearly, Sorry

Quote:

Originally posted by kevina [snip] Essentially then your request is for Reminders to "lead" either the Begin Date/Begin Time OR the Due Date. [/snip]
Yes

Quote:

[i]- if a Begin Date and Due Date are specified, which should be used?
user choice: one or the other

Quote:

Originally posted by kevina - if the Due Date is used, and a Recurring attribute is also specified, should the Due Date be advanced, no Recurrence occur, or??
no recurrences. A due date is a due date, not an anniversary, etc. If it changes, user can change due date manually since there is no 'adavance' function that I know of in UR.

Quote:

Originally posted by kevina - would a Due Time attribute also be necessary to specify an exact time (vs just the Due DATE)?
just the date but time would be icing on the cake

Quote:

Originally posted by kevina - the Reminder Dialog would have to become more complicated to reflect whether due to the Begin Date or the Due Date - etc
Maybe syntax or rewording reminder dialog could satisfy either.