Kinook Software Forum

Kinook Software Forum (https://www.kinook.com/Forum/index.php)
-   [UR] General Discussion (https://www.kinook.com/Forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Outlook - Bidirectional Search Synchronization (https://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=3189)

Quantum7 11-05-2007 06:05 AM

Outlook - Bidirectional Search Synchronization

Setup
- I've created a synchronization folder to store all my Outlook appointments in.
- I've created a synchronization search for newly created appointments in UR so that any new appointments I create in the tree hierarchy of UR can be synchronized to Outlook.

Steps taken
1. I create a new appointment in the tree hierarchy (outside of the synchronization folder)
2. I synchronize it using Search Synchronization. This results in the appointment appearing in Outlook (good).
3. I then synchronize my Folder Synchronizatio nin UR. This causes the appointment to also appear there.

End result
I now have the same appointment twice in UR. Note that they do both have different outlook URL (weird).

Most importantly, the one appointment which should be leading (the one in the tree hierarchy) isn't updated anymore from Outlook. Any changes I make in Outlook are only reflected in the Folder synchronized UR folder. And what happens the next time I use search synchronization, does it uni-directionally overwrite changes I made in outlook?

Feature suggestion
Bidirectional Search Synchronization. Then I can simply synchronize all appointments throughout my tree regardless of where they are.

inkognito 11-05-2007 09:30 AM

i see that i'm in good company ;)

see here: http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthre...?threadid=2609

Quantum7 11-05-2007 10:04 AM

Hmmm. This may be a bug then, instead of (weird) intended behavior.

Although the situation in the thread you referenced is somewhat different. I (happily) haven't had any problems (yet) with item's being duplicated while using only the Folder Synchronization feature.

inkognito 11-05-2007 03:42 PM

u'r right.

i read too fast and have only seen.....sync ....twice.....
sounded so familiar to me :D

every now and then i try folder sync w/ ol again with
the same strange behaviour.
i'd really like to see it working on my machine. but
as long that it produces duplicates it's pretty useless

kinook 11-05-2007 03:59 PM

It seems that for some users, Outlook sometimes changes the URLs of items. UR uses the URL to match up existing items for synchronizing, and if Outlook changes an item's URL, UR will (and must) treat it as a different item.

inkognito 11-06-2007 02:36 AM

do they use exchange ?
maybe that's the missing detail 4 tracking down that issue?

Quantum7 11-06-2007 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by kinook
It seems that for some users, Outlook sometimes changes the URLs of items. UR uses the URL to match up existing items for synchronizing, and if Outlook changes an item's URL, UR will (and must) treat it as a different item.
Does this mean you're not getting a duplicate created in UR when using folder synchronization after using search synchronization?

(confirming this as I'm not sure you're replying to me or to inkognito ;))

kinook 11-06-2007 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Quantum7
Does this mean you're not getting a duplicate created in UR when using folder synchronization after using search synchronization?
Yes.

igoldsmid 11-06-2007 02:01 PM

Outlook add-ins - like SpeedFiler - and others, including ones that auto file your emails based on rules - when "they" file your emails, they change the uri in the process... very annoying - so you have to watch out for that - because if you import emails into UR while they are in your inbox, then file them using one of these tools, you will no longer be able to open them from UR.

I use ClearContext (now at V4 since yesterday) to deal with productivity in Outlook and for auto filing, and fortunately this add in does not change the outlook items' uri's when they are filed elsewhere...