Kinook Software Forum

Kinook Software Forum (https://www.kinook.com/Forum/index.php)
-   [UR] General Discussion (https://www.kinook.com/Forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Saving a new Word document straight into UR (https://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=2905)

StephenUK 08-11-2007 07:37 AM

Saving a new Word document straight into UR

In an attempt to put everything all in one place, and therefore in UR, I am currently saving newly created MS Word documents to a temporary folder and then later on batch dropping them into UR. That works reasonably well.

However, if there were a way I could save straight into UR (ideally at my chosen point in the Explorer Tree) that would be far easier.

Is this achievable?

I can, of course, paste the contents, but then I can't so easily edit later on in Word.

============

Put another way, one can pull Web Pages into UR using the funnel icon in Internet Explorer. Is there any way to have some form of similar functionality when using Word?

For me, the ability to save everything into an appropriate place in the UR Explorer Tree "on the fly" allows me to structure my data as I go along before I forget what it relates to and before I forget notes that UR very usefully allows me to make about documents and items brought into UR.

ashwken 08-11-2007 07:44 AM

Re: Saving a new Word document straight into UR

Quote:

Originally posted by StephenUK
In an attempt to put everything all in one place, and therefore in UR, I am currently saving newly created MS Word documents to a temporary folder and then later on batch dropping them into UR. That works reasonably well.
How different are the newly created Word docs?

If there are differences between the initial Word docs set up a series of Word doc Templates in UR. You could pre-organize certian of these into separate Folders and utilize the Default Child Template atrribute for the Folder.

Going to be in the field most of the day, just some thoughts.

StephenUK 08-11-2007 07:53 AM

Ashwken - thank you. Yes, maybe that's the way to go. I've played with word templates within UR but haven't quite committed to that way of doing things.

I'm a little nervous that UR might not be robust enough using that technique. Has it worked well for you?

ashwken 08-11-2007 08:33 AM

Waiting on some folks to arrive...

I've got one database setup for Lead Tracking, store all email correspondence, weblinks to listing reports sent, and have two Word doc templates setup for correspondence.

Very easy to Insert either template into an "Event Folder", this database is approaching 400mb (mostly due to attachments to emails) and I should do some culling soon; I've been running this database for close to two years.

I've done some preliminary work on a Listing Tracking database, this one involves a couple Word "forms" (elaborate tables), but have not committed to it yet. I've been looking at using UR to replace the in-house system for tracking Listings and Sales, just haven't pulled it all together yet.

I say, give it go and see how it works.

StephenUK 08-11-2007 09:25 AM

Very many thanks. I'll do as you say and try it.

On the separate (but perhaps now less important) question of how most quickly to save a Word document created externally, into UR, is there any quicker way than saving to a temp file and then moving across?

Some way of using "Save As" straight into UR, for example?

janrif 08-11-2007 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by StephenUK
Very many thanks. I'll do as you say and try it.

On the separate (but perhaps now less important) question of how most quickly to save a Word document created externally, into UR, is there any quicker way than saving to a temp file and then moving across?

Some way of using "Save As" straight into UR, for example?

I set up several specialized folders where my UR database is stored. So for example, one folder is 'email', another is 'documents'.

Whenever I save as I save to these folders

In UR I import said folder to set up the link between UR & the specialized folder. After the first import, I just sync to it.

I don't know if this works for you but that's how I do it. If I want to link a particular document somewhere, I just copy the URL for that particular file & drop it into item details or notes.

Does that help?