View Single Post
Old 08-09-2007, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by StephenUK
Quant, many thanks for that. I have half followed you.

My starting point is " Word Document version 1" that is in UR. I open it in Word. I change it, and Ctrl-S as "Word Document version 2" in the temp file.

I don't want "Word Document version 1" in UR to be changed. What I need is to get the new "Word Document version 2" into UR, currently sitting in the Temp file.
This is not a very good practice. Making changes in v1 doc and then do "save as v2 doc", leaves v1 doc with unsaved changes (this is what you want), but word could do autosave in the meantime, UR could do synchronize, when you'll be closing v1 doc, word asks you what to do with unsaved changes when you can make mistake and save the changes ... all in all, this is very error prone approach

Quote:
Originally posted by StephenUK
I realise I can instead duplicate "Word Document version 1" within UR at the outset, retitle the duplicate in UR as "Word Document version 2", and THEN take that into Word, make my changes, and do as you suggest. But it is a bit convoluted.

Or am I misunderstanding you?
this could be one way to store several consecutive versions of the same file, if that is what you wanted to achieve. Maybe to prevent opening the word several times this approach would be preferable: starting from "latest version doc", following the steps if my first reply, you'd be able to store after making some changes to "latest version doc", v1 doc, ... v2 doc, still having the latest changes in the single open word file "latest version doc"