View Single Post
Old 08-12-2007, 09:33 AM

There can never be enough talk about backups...(I learned my lesson 22 years ago when a coworker was formating a floppy drive and mistakenly reformated my enormous 10mb HD).

UR does not contain all the important information I wish to protect- like my financial information in Quicken/Quickbooks and stuff I have chosen to link UR to. So I need a comprehensive solution to data protection. I prefer to buy specialized backup software that allows me to easily address all of this data as well as backup across the net. (FYI - I use SyncbackSE)

From a data integrity standpoint, UR itself has been very reliable. The undo and recycle bin have protected me from myself. I have developed a good deal of confidence in it.

After reading Google's HD failure experience I became more worried about my desktop. The failures were not predictable and much worse than I expected from the manufacturer's MTBF specs. My portable computer is at high risk so I expect failure (or loss) and plan accordingly.

In my experience Windows on a given system always becomes less reliable with time and benefits from a reinstallation. So as my system ages, I increase the frequency of backup.

I too am considering backing up "online" vs my monthly trip with my USB HD to the bank's vault. Today's muse is Amazons S3 storage using JungleDisk's maped drive.