View Single Post
Old 11-12-2007, 02:52 PM

I tend to create databases with lots of notes (hundreds) and many links to internal and external items. I rarely store entire documents (spreadsheets, PDF files, image files, etc inside a PIM database, but prefer instead to link to such items and/or their container (folder).

So my databases are relatively small and usually break down into two main categories - computer (work and hobby info) and personal (diary, letters, essays, etc.). At home I have a separate database for each category and at work everything is combined into one database.

Comparing my work and home configurations, I would say a single database containing everything is more convenient in UR (as long as it doesn't get too large).

In a product like Info Select, just the opposite is true. IS (at least in IS4 which is the last version I purchased) complains pretty quickly about file size, but on the other hand, has excellent support for opening multiple files under a single parent container--including viewing, searching and moving objects across files as if they were a single database.

I'm hoping UR will someday provide better support for multiple databases under a single parent--and obviously continuing support for opening them in separate containers if that's what you prefer.