View Single Post
Old 07-08-2008, 02:16 PM

Thank you all.

@kinook: Yes, I agree that the "backup export" section should probably have the reference to "backup" removed. It did lead me to think that was the method Kinook was suggesting for backup purposes.

As for a backup application, I mentioned in my post that I do have a number of redundant backup methods in my personal backup strategy. Even a little overboard, some claim:
  • BackUp4All Pro as my "normal" backup.
  • Super Flexible File Synchronizer for syncing files and folders to external drives and via FTP to an online server I maintain.
  • Acronis True Image Home 11 for regular images of my C: drive, and less frequent images of two other 500 GB internal SATA drives. (Lost faith, though, with this version - very bug-laden compared to previous versions)
  • Mozy Online backup - I just canceled this service a week ago. Used it for over a year and then they sent out an automatic update to a new version. Couldn't connect reliably to their servers anymore, and when they had me install other "test" versions to try and fix it, they somehow "lost" my 60+ GB backup files on their server!
  • I also use FirstDefense - Rescue for copying my entire operating system and config and keeping it in a "safe" partition. I can boot to that copy at will for crash recovery and/or sandbox-type software testing.

Whew! Sounds like a lot, but recently two of my backup methods failed catastrophically, and the others saved me.

Anyway, I am sure my URDs will be safely backed up one way or another!

@Quant:

I'll take a look at Wink, though I do use another usually.

@ashwken:

I have the Firefox extension DownLoadHelper installed on Firefox 3 and that has an animated icon just to the right of the URL address bar (or the "Awesome Bar", as it is called in FF3! - Neat feature.), and you can click on that for a drop-down menu from which you can download ANY media files on the particular web page you happen to be on. It also lets you download all media files at once - they are downloaded as a folder. Pretty nice, very convenient).

If I want to target specific items to download, however, I also have most of Applian's programs: Replay A/V, Replay Converter, etc. I can pretty much download any A/V file from anywhere online, then convert it to any other format I wish. It can also record any and all sounds coming through the sound card on the computer.

Thanks all!

Jim