View Single Post
Old 03-28-2009, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kinook
The UR window size and position is stored in the registry value WindowPos under the key

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Kinook Software\Ultra Recall\Layouts\Summary

It's a binary value, so you can't easily edit it directly, but if you exit UR, then export that registry key, you can re-import it using a command like

regedit /s c:\path\to\exported.reg

before starting UR.

Although it's odd that the last position and size are not retained when restarting. Maybe shutting down is terminating UR before it can save the position?
Hey, I finally got time to take a look at this registry key and you are correct in that it will not be that easy to edit the binary value; I'm not certain how to correlate the binary code with screen position. I guess I was thinking that I would see some pixel values, x and y points, etc. Even if I were to export the key for editing, what would I then use to perform the edits? And I don't know if I could convert the binary to something a little more edit-friendly or not.

Without a little better knowledge I'm reluctant to make any changes just yet.

I imagine that the registry keys in this directory correspond to values shown in the LayoutX.dat files contained in C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Kinook Software\Ultra Recall\. True? Since I use Layout 1 almost all the time that is the layout that I would want to reset, so that would be Layout1.dat. However that file has position info for each element that makes up the Layout. Is there a setting there that contains the position for the whole Layout 1 window? If so, which "Bar" is it?

Since resetting the window size manually works temporarily, I currently resize it manually every time Ultra Recall starts. But I really would like it to stay that way! Here is what I do now:
  1. Since the UR window initially opens near the top left of my screen, I simply grab the bottom right corner of the window and drag it toward the lower right corner of the screen.
  2. Then I immediately click File>Exit and quit Ultra Recall.
  3. Next I open Ultra Recall immediately and the window is the same larger size that I dragged it to. Great!
  4. But after Windows is restarted Ultra Recall usually opens in the smaller window once again. Occasionally it retains the larger window size that I dragged it to, but that only lasts at most through two or three restarts and then eventually reverts back to the smaller size again.

It is unusual how it sometimes retains the larger size but then reverts back after a few Windows shutdowns and startups or restarts. I rarely - actually almost never - close Ultra Recall manually. I have Ultra Recall configured to start with Windows and after running my computer for the day I close out the applications that are open, meaning they have open visible windows, and then I click on Start>Turn Off Computer>Restart. Thus the programs that are either running background processes or simply minimized to the system tray are closed by means of Windows sending them "Close" or "Quit" calls.

Since this problem started I had intended to always close Ultra Recall manually but unfortunately - since it is hidden away nicely in the systray - I usually forget! Thus my applications that reside in the systray are all closed in that manner: Ultra Recall, Surfulater, SnagIt, Linkman, NOD32, ClipMate, etc. None of those seem to have any issues because of this - at least not that I have noticed. I am thinking that Ultra Recall must have a setting somewhere that retains that initial window size always. The resized window size must be stored as a temp setting somehow, but the smaller dimensions have to be stored as the ultimate default because Ultra Recall always seems to remember them at some point!

So are my only options to either get that registry key edited somehow or remember to never allow Windows to close Ultra Recall?

Thanks! I really appreciate your help with this.

Jim