View Single Post
Old 07-31-2006, 02:47 PM

Infoselect - well not really - its great at searching many things - especially its own internal items, but it does not search in pdf's for example - so if you have a lot of those you are stuffed - and it is incredibly slow searching saved web pages... The closest to search nirvana is AskSam - but the product has serious bugs - I tried it for a while and got a refund - way too dangerous to trust with data integrity..

I recommend be patient with UltraRecall - it won't be that long before GDS works with it, then you'll have your cake and eat it! :-)

In the meantime - if fast, complex searching, with results highlighting is critical for you - just export your UR documents to disk and use GDS, or any other desktop search tool.. Exporting is simple and quick by the way...

And its dead easy to keep UR and its data mirrored on disk - just create and save a UR Search with "Date Created" Greater Than or Equal to [the date of the last export] - then periodically (daily whatever) export the search results to disk, and update the value field in the UR search each time.. This is not ideal but it works better if you want to perform boolean searching with results highlighting and so forth...

As far as I know there is no product (like UR) out there that will enable you to import/index, view and search/highlight all the different data and documents types - oh maybe with the exception of Omea Pro - but then Omea Pro is not a replacement for UR, maybe something to use along with...