View Single Post
Old 09-03-2005, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by srdiamond
Isn't the motive for linking _always_ to speed navigation?
Well, I don't really see it that way. In my mind, the purpose of links is to allow for a more flexible organizational schema. If an object could logically be filed in more than one location in the tree, links allow to do that, rather than forcing you to choose a single location.

Does that speed navigation? I guess in one sense it does, because it will probably take less time to find it if it can be found in multiple locations. However, in this case, the speed is really a side-benefit of the primary benefit, which is a more organized structure.

This is different from the context that PureMoxie was referencing in his posting. He was suggesting that you create search items and place them in various locations throughout the tree. The goal in that scenario is not to improve the organizational schema, but just to have shortcuts available at your fingertips. This is analagous to the way people place Windows shortcuts on their desktop, in the Quick Launch tray, etc... Placing shortcuts in these locations does not improve the organization of your Windows file system, it just makes it more convenient and faster to access your frequently used programs.