View Single Post
Old 11-13-2007, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kinook
The vision for UR is make its users more productive, and the future direction of UR is highly influenced by user feedback, since they usually know best what makes them more productive. We do believe it's important to take care when adding features to integrate them well while preventing UR from becoming bloated and slow. This is not easy, and that combined with the fact that UR has so many potential uses, means there is still plenty to do before UR is complete (if ever), but we're doing our best to continue improving UR based on user input.
One of the main reasons I'm attracted to Ultra Recall is that it uses template items for managing info items. I'm pretty sure that extremely flexible approach to information management is not something which would ever score very high as a 'wanted' feature for a tool (more easily understandable features, like calendar pane's will always score higher).

What I'm saying I guess, is that I'd not like to see implementing features that users want, be more important than architectural vision / design. In essence I don't think user input alone is enough for keeping a tool flexible and powerful long term.

Personally in example I'd rather have a a few months of very few user features implemented and get something generic (often usable for situations we never even thought of yet) instead. The roadmap right now doesn't seems to contain a lot of those kinds of features.

Roadmap example: I hope that "Title attribute based on other attribute values" is implemented in a much more generic way.

If you meant something like the above with "integrate them well", then my apologies for this long post .

Notes:
- The users on the forum only represent the current user crop; it doesn't say much about what features people might miss who aren't using it yet.
- Quant: Interesting articles regarding feature bloat:
http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000980.html
http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000973.html

Last edited by Quantum7; 11-13-2007 at 04:49 PM.