View Single Post
Old 04-02-2007, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by srdiamond
Here's why, however, I see this as an ethical issue. The user is trying a new version. In addition to the normal hassles of trying a new product, there is added a new hassle: at the least, creating a temporary notebook, and then later moving the new temporary stuff to the established notebooks. Not a terrible burden, but a factor, an annoyance, making it easier to just go ahead and buy version 3. Vendors are sensitive to these issues. This subtle but improper pressure is what made me decide NOT to upgrade.
I understand your point, but honestly, I don't think Kinook put this restriction to push users to buy a new version. I think, it was probably only once that people had to upgrade from one version to another (and certainly there were much fewer users than are now), and Kinook simply didn't prepare well for this situation. I saw that they added this into their website,
"We can also provide a temporary key that will remove the item limit for evaluating larger databases."
and also added several "Upgrade notes" to facilitate the trial of new version for licensed users. If you ever contacted the support, you know they they are very reasonable and helpful ... I'm sure when the time comes for another upgrade, they've learned their lesson and the transition will be much smoother ;-)