View Single Post
Old 12-20-2005, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by xja
Yes, a hoist is like a filter with one matching item, however, a filter would display all the ancestors of the matched item, up to the root, while hoist would show the matched item as the root, yes? If you made a filter option to not show ancestors when there is only 1 matched item, it would be a hoist.

I do think there is some value to having them as separate concepts... eg, say I'm browsing through a filtered tree, I may want to hoist an item, but maintaining the existing filter in place for all descendants of the hoisted item. In some ways, it is a a filter applied to another filter, but that may start to get confusing to think of it that way, even though that may be the way it is executed in the code..
I think it would be desirable to be able to apply filters to filtered data, whether either filter takes the form of a hoist or not. And it would also be desirable to hoist within a hoist. Barring a complete implementation, yes, I'd still like to be able to hoist, even though I've applied a filter.

Last edited by srdiamond; 12-20-2005 at 08:02 PM.