View Single Post
Old 07-07-2009, 07:36 PM

I think this somehow has something to do with how VisualBuild reads the licensing information from the registry.

Somehow, when you run a buildstep or click on Help|About it would need to retrieve your licensing key. The first time, it tries to read the license key, it would display the error message and not display my license key properly in the Help|About. Any subsequent tries seems to succeed as I am able to see my license key in the help about and I do not see the error dialog box anymore.

However, if I close and restart VisualBuild it goes through the same issues again.

I have turned off the virus scanner and removed/re-install VisualBuild numerous times to no avail.

When I run a RegMon, I noticed that VisBuildPro.exe has numerous "BUFFER OVERFLOW" errors when reading the licensing information from this registry key: "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Licenses". This led me to think something is whacky with VisualBuild not reading my license key properly on the first try, but succeed on subsequent retries with the same session.