View Single Post
Old 04-12-2010, 08:17 PM

Thanks for sharing your method! What I currently use is PowerFolder, which syncs my files (including UR and other databases) by a peer-to-peer method. It works just fine. The same caveat applies as with your method: you need to close the db program on computer X before you can work on it on computer Y. In that sense I guess these two methods are pretty much equivalent.

My problem is absent-mindedness: forgetting to close on one pc before opening on another. I've been working on a solution that uses a batch file that closes all the relevant programs. I then use Windows scheduler to schedule the batch to run every 15 minutes, but only if the system has been idle for 15 minutes. This way the programs don't close if I'm working on the pc. This is imperfect, since I might be looking in a book for 20 minutes, and the applications will be closed before I'm done with them. In order to minimize this inconvenience, I've written another batch file to start all the closed programs with one click. This works swimmingly on my xp systems, but I haven't quite ironed out all the kinks on my single Win 7 system. The reason this method works with programs like UR and Surfulater is that they write all changes to the db either immediately or when the program closes. If you did the same thing with, say, MS Word, and hadn't saved your work, this close command would generate a dialogue box ("Save Changes?"). Then again, there is no reason to keep programs like Word open all the time, as one likes to do with UR, etc.

Okay, that was verbose. If you've read this far, I'd be interested to hear what you think of this method...

Best,
David