View Single Post
Old 07-27-2007, 07:05 AM

Kinook - many thanks for the feedback. I will let you have that information.

Zargron. Thanks for the reference to the thread. My database size indeed comes mainly from storing things. The bulk of it is web site captures where I want more than a link because of changing content. I am not sure if I can export those captures so as then to link with them, and I would anyway lose the ability to search within UR on the linked items.

I have been a very keen user of InfoSelect since its DOS days. The reason for the (partial) switch to UR is so that I can put everything in one place. I can link quite effectively from InfoSelect, so really it is the ability to avoid mere linking that attracts me to UR.

I did use WebResearch for web capture and found it very good, but then I found no easy way to associate web captures with photos, notes and Word files held elsewhere. Essentially I need an integrated approach to diverse types of information. So UR is, I think, right for me and is in my view a very intelligently conceived program. I like its features, especially the cloning and hoisting which are not really available in InfoSelect. The only issue for me with UR is one of stability.

Maybe future development should concentrate as much on stability and safety as much as on further features.

One thought is that if there were on-the-fly duplication of everything in a directory structure in a backup directory, then I would feel reassured that I always had that to fall back on. (And to bang an old drum of mine, if Paperport were then used to look at that data it is a much nicer interface which I wish Kinook would emulate. Paperport creates thumbnails of everything including Word and Excel files. Searching visually is a very attractive alternative for many documents which often are not given very meaningful names. Mind you, Paperport makes a real mess of creating thumbnails of web pages...).

Perhaps the surprising thing is that applications such as UR, which to my mind ought to be central to PC use, still have only small acceptance.