View Single Post
Old 07-27-2007, 11:33 AM

On the topic of testing...
Asking your average software development house to spend a whole heap of hours limit testing their software is sound in theory but not always practical. The good ones do a reasonable amount of in-house testing before releasing it to a beta community for some "real-life" testing. Hopefully some of the beta testers push it to reasonable limits. And still it's only after the general release that you really find out where you're at. People accidentally or deliberately do strange things with your software and POP! Your cosy in-house testing didn't pick it up because it's quite hard to get people who know the software well to do the wrong thing with it.

I reckon Kinook are taking the stability thing very seriously. They are continuously absorbing the feedback and chipping away at it. Unless you've got millions of dollars to throw at it - complex software takes a long time to get clean. And BTW - there is the issue of the operating system.

Now what else was I going to mention? Oh - that's right - SQLite and limitations. I agree. The SQLite engine might be quite blameless. Perhaps it is in Kinook's implementation of it. There's just so many factors - again - it simply takes time to track them down and deal with them. - (pause) - Just back from the SQLite site. For what its worth, I took the following from:
http://www.sqlite.org/limits.html
SQLite will support very large databases in theory, but the current implementation is optimized for the common SQLite use cases of embedded devices and persistent stores for desktop applications. In other words, SQLite is designed for use with databases sized in kilobytes or megabytes not gigabytes. If you are building an application to work with databases that are hundreds of gigabytes or more in size, then you should perhaps consider using a different database engine that is explicitly designed for such large data sets.