View Single Post
Old 05-17-2008, 02:41 PM

Re: Re: Same planet, different world

Quote:
Originally posted by armsys
Ashwken is the known UR guru enjoying multiple URDs.
...that Ashwken isn't a big fan of multi URD search.
Thanks for the compliment, but it's way overstated.

Search across Mulitple URDs would be benefical in many circumstances.

Part of the reason I end up with multiple URDs is that I tend to push the database aspect of UR (probably) more than the authors intended.

For example, I have one URD for cataloging music - granted there are many good music catalog programs available, but none that allowed me the depth and customization that UR allows. 'Course there are some features available in specific music catalog applications that I can't duplicate in UR, but I've been able to accept these deficencies and found work arounds.

Another example is a URD for cataloging and researching the works of a specific author, and the spin-offs that his work inspired.

An example of overlap could be found in a URD I have for Current Events, and a separate URD for Run Up to War. Both of these URDs are more research oriented, as opposed to cataloging, and as such could benefit from multiple db search. An arguement could be made to merge these two databases since there is some intersection of purpose, but on the other hand there is enough difference to keep them separate (Current Events is more general, where Run Up to War is more focused).

The flexibility that UR allows is both powerful and frustrating, and I really enjoy learning how others are putting the program to use.