View Single Post
Old 04-01-2024, 03:49 AM

I can't resolve the problems I have with UR Search.

I de-installed UR by the UR de-install run, then rebooted and deleted any residuals I could find (Wise Care 365 and Voidtools Everything), then did a fresh UR install, left it at its factory settings, then tried my UR Search again, with the same (faulty / "no-") results as before. (I then only re-installed my UR settings: registry key, and the 4 UR settings files.)

I then installed UR on a second PC, with UR's factory settings (and left it at that), and I encounter strictly the same problems there; on that PC, AHK has never even been installed, let alone run, and it was just shortly connected to the internet 2 or 3 times, just in order to update Windows 10 from the MS site (and it was never connected to my "net" (LAN), not even to my printer, all software installs, except for W10 which came with the PC, by USB stick), and no problem whatsoever (except now for the UR Search), whilst my main PC had had some c: drive problems indeed (as described by me here, but no other problem with dozens of programs though, except for UR).

Thus it's obvious that my UR Search problems are not caused by problems on either of my PCs but by some setting or settings interaction; Tools - Options - Search is:
General: Automatically no (default is yes, same result), Select first no, Focus yes, Highlight no
Quick Search (QS): Incremental 0ms, Max 0
Then: Enable no, Perform no, Match no.
(Compact-and-Repair settings: Compact yes, Repair yes, Enable yes.)

Your help page "Matches Wildcard" (to be accessed by searching "matches wildcard" in the help's search field) states,
"The Matches Wildcard [Does Not Match Wildcard] comparison operator locates Info Items or Info Items with the specified Attribute that match the specified wildcard expression." - from my understanding as a non-native speaker, this means that ANY "wildcard operator" (i.e. plural) (i.e. ? or * or the regex [some] or the regex [^some], ditto for [some-some]) will trigger, when entered in QS, the respective "matches wildcard" AS (AdvancedSearch), whilst in all cases of the absence of these ?,*,[,] (or their "escaping" by [] or a second [/]), respectively) = in all "default cases", the QS will trigger the default "contains keywords" AS; a quick toggle between "Quick" and "Advanced" would confirm this switching between the two "Comparison" alternatives, i.e. would show that the "Comparison" column value / setting / choice in the AS "list" (always just one row here, for those QSs, "translated to AS") switched accordingly; your
"A Quick Search uses an (Item) Contains Keywords <keywords entered> type of criteria, unless one of the wildcard operators, or the " (double quote) symbol is included in the criteria, in which case a Matches Wildcard criteria will be used instead.", would confirm that I have correctly understood that somewhat not-too-evident "The Matches Wildcard [Does Not Match Wildcard] comparison operator" part: Any ? or * within the QS is understood as a wildcard operator, except when it's escaped by [] around it, and similar for [] when not escaped by doubling those.

Thus, the UR code analyzes the QS string, in order to decide which AS to apply, so far so good, and I verified by toggling from QS to AS; also, any space is "translated" as (implicit) AND, and any OR (surrounded by spaces) as (explicit) "OR".

Unfortunately, this "translation" from entered string to search command does not work correctly on both of my systems, but equally faulty:

1) (As already said above,) OR is not translated, but invariably considered as being literal (being written or or OR), so some OR other will neither find some nor other items, but only items comprising some AND or AND other; ditto (also said above) for explicit AND: some AND other will NOT find items with some AND other, but only items with some AND other AND and.

2) * is correctly translated, i.e. when the search string contains a *, then the AS switches from default "contains keywords" to "matches wildcard"; this is not also the case with everything else: AS is not switched accordingly, but remains at "contains keywords", with, as value, the literal string, e.g.:

A) a?b > contains keywords: a?1
B)(when I then, in AS, manually switch to "matches wildcard", and click on start, the AS does NOT find any ab1 or ac1 item, which are clearly there, but "0 matching items")

A) a[a-z]1 > contains keywords: a[a-z]1 > and no find, obviously
B) manual switch to "matches wildcard" > no find either, e.g. for ab1 (which exists)

etc. etc.

Thus, we have TWO / three problems here, at obviously TWO different positions within UR's code:

A) QS search string is not correctly translated to AS search (switch to "matches wildcard" is not made when necessary, i.e. when ? or [] BUT is made when * though; obviously, a one OR two would not need that switch to begin with):
* only is processed correctly

B2) Even the correct AS search then (triggered manually, with "Comparison" as "match wildcard") will not find any result since here again, ? and [] are interpreted literally, not as wildcard/regex codes
here again, * only is processed correctly

B1) Similar for correct AS search:
contains keywords: a1 OR a2 > the OR is processed literally, thus no search result

THUS, MORE CONCISE:

Two problems:

AND and OR systematically processed literally (in QS and in AS, both in lowercase and uppercase), so no search result

? and [] systematically processed literally (in QS and in AS), thus NO switch to "match wildcard" when necessary, and no search result even with "match wildcard" (just * processed correctly)

That, on old PC and new PC, with old UR and UR from March, 2024.

Obviously, within UR's code, there are glitches / interactions (persistent over the UR versions) which on two of my systems (1 perhaps to be considered "problematic", the other one certainly not) cause the above-described problems, even whilst obviously, on your system(s), they do not.

I now have de-installed (with the UR de-install program) UR from PC 2, incl. the user settings (so reverted to trial). I re-installed (newest) UR (default settings) on PC 2, and I created a NEW trial .urd (not using the UR default (i.e. "sample") .urd I had used to do my previous Search tries - never used UR otherwise on PC 2 anyway).

I created two notes, One and Two.

Screenshot 1 shows "One OR Two" not working in QS (screenshot shows the automatic translation to AS where NO switch to "matches wildcard" would have been necessary, but where none of the two to-be-expected search results shows up; ditto for the search "one OR two"; ditto (i.e. NO result) for the search "eins OR zwei", considering that in the "text" of the two items, I had put "eins" and "zwei", respectively (always without the double-quotes), but a screenshot showing those texts AND the (empty) search result at the same time does not seem to be possible.

Screenshot 2 shows "O?e" not working in QS (screenshot shows the automatic translation to AS where the necessary switch to "matches wildcard" has NOT been made, and the lack of result, whilst the "One" item should have been listed).

Since my UR installation of PC 2 is "factory", without any setting, or any possibility of components to be damaged, it seems there is a glitch for OR, (explicit) AND, ? and [] in UR, showing on SOME system, not on others (and unfortunately on both of mine), whilst implicit AND and * are correctly processed on any system.

(Needless to say that the "?" placeholder would be needed for "tags" in the form of e.g. xab where x is the tag code, a the value (here) for a first tag category and b the value (here) for a second tag category (and so on): searching for xa* works fine for "a" then "any", but ? would be needed for "any" then "b".)

(I also tried 2 items, with xxxa1 and xxxb1, respectively; I then searched for xxx?1 and for xxx[?]1 (considering that "literal vs. placeholder" for "?" might have been mixed up); for both, I got the same 5 (faulty) "xxx" results (since they just contain xxx), but none of the 2 needed ones, and, needless to say, the necessary switch from "contains keywords" to "matches wildcard" was not done.)
Attached Images