View Single Post
Old 04-02-2024, 12:48 AM

To clarify:

NO "font" problem intervening here, I use originally installed Arial, in which my "?" and [] are the original ASCII / ANSI characters 63, 91, 93 (i.e. no fiddling with character substitution so that UR could not recognize my "special" ?[] anymore - just adding this info for "completeness").

NO "stop word" problem intervening here; I use "real" words, not just "a" and "b" and "one" and "two" and the like, but words that are correctly found when I just search for them, and which are also correctly found when I search for them with implicit (!) "AND", so

a > found

a b > (implicit "AND") is found when I put a and b into the same item

a AND b > (explicit "AND") is NOT found since "AND" treated literally (and of course, IS "found" when (!) ball three, a, b, and AND, are present in an item)

a OR b > as the previous "a AND b": treated literally, so "found" (only) IF item contains all three: a, or, and b

a?b > the "?" is treated literally, thus is "found" if item contains string "a?b"

just similar, not identical, for any [...]: some item with [[x]] >
[[x]] > "finds" any items with single "x" (AS translation: "contains keywords") but not the item with string "[[x]]"
> seems to indicate that string-analysis code is not perfectly discrete but ambiguous in some cases

4 work situations (all with fts "on"), faulty behavior identical (!) in all four (whilst amelioration had been expected from a) to any of the others, naturally):

a) PC 1, with internet, UR heavily used (many UR DBs), AHK running, lots of "services" running; explicit-AND, and OR, problems since many months, over several UR versions, but OR worked as expected, many months ago; "?" and "[]" problems just discovered recently i.e. never used, or tried to use them, before; W10 Pro english, latest version

b) as a), "clean" UR-re-install (version of March 8, 2024), but possibility of third-party "services" or whatever interfering

c) PC 2, no internet (except for rare W10 updates), perfectly "clean", just some programs installed, AHK never even installed (let alone used), almost never used (i.e. my "reserve PC"), (months-old) UR version installed but never used, never copied (or created) a UR db (onto) here; UR try just with 2, 3 newly created items within the default "sample" db; W10 Pro english, some version about 6 months old

d) as c), "clean" UR-re-install (version of March 8, 2024), UR try with newly created db with just 2, 3 items created (over the default items which are already present at start)

Identical problems:

QS (QuickSearch) > AS (Advanced Search):

QS: a OR b > no result
again QS: a OR b > AS > contains keywords a OR b (=correct) > no result > OR obviously treated literally

QS: a?b > no result (except for items containing literal string "a?b"
again QS: a?b > AS > contains keywords a?b (=necessary switch to "matches wildcard" NOT done)
> switch to "matches wildcard" done manually > no result either > even "matches wildcard" treats "?" (and []) literally, NOT as placeholders / wildcard chars

Hence two code problems in all 4 situations:

QS: occurrence of "?" (or [ and ]) in QS string does NOT switch the internal (= AS) processing "contains keywords" to "matches wildcard"

AS: any OR, AND, ?, [...] within AS "matches wildcard" are treated literally though (i.e. not only when "escaped" but all the time) (and additional problems with "[" escaping, not clearly identified by me)

In the other hand:

"OR", done by AS in 2 or more rows, does work as expected, i.e. AS
contains keyword a
OR contains keyword b
OR contains keyword c
etc
works correctly, whilst
contains keyword a OR b > does NOT work correctly (OR being treated literally)

"*" is correctly treated correctly, i.e. as wildcard, BOTH times:
* in QS string > switch, in AS, is made to "matches wildcard", and then,
in AS, the "some*" string is treated correctly, i.e. the * as wildcard > correct results

P.S.:

Obviously, given my previous problems with UR on PC 1 (situations a and b), I had expected that UR Search on PC 2 (situations c and d) would work correctly, and so I was ready to switch to PC 2 (=my "reserve" PC, as said) for that reason; I then was very surprised to encounter the same problems there (situation c), and then again, even after a new UR install (situation d); I now must expect that even on a brand-new PC (PC 3), which I would have to buy, the same problem either presents itself on-the-spot, or then will occur after some time of use; I can NOT re-install Windows on PC 2 since that would break my license for another, special, rarely-used but expensive, program, which is "bound" to the current "system" on that PC (I even lost 2 licenses on my PC 1, by a Windows re-install on there, some years ago...).

Would UR be another Delphi program? (= more or less the "standard" framework at the time of its creation) - With some Delphi DLLs or similar being damaged, under certain (but obviously not all) conditions, by Windows 10 updates? (and then not systematically updated, too, by UR re-installs?) ;-(