View Single Post
Old 10-04-2008, 06:53 PM

Thanks $bill. I hadn't seen that in the onboard UR Help file - though it IS there. (Not trying to be negative, but I find it very difficult to find all info I need in the Help file unless I know exactly where to look, or what exactly to search for.)

I'll definitely give that a hard look and try.

BTW, my settings on the notebook are exactly as you stated in your first post here, but the old original database was what appeared when I fired it up this afternoon. THe Help file indicates that the Options you mentioned only shows the same tabs, etc, when you reopen that database. It's trying to get a specific database to open when UR starts that is the problem here.

The Help file says, ...

"Reload of recently opened databases: When exiting Ultra Recall via File | Exit on the menu, Ultra Recall remembers the currently open Info Databases and reopens them when Ultra Recall is restarted. Also, any Info Databases in the same path as the program executable will also be opened. Automatic reopening of databases can be disabled by holding down the Shift key when starting Ultra Recall. To specify a custom list of databases to open at startup, create shortcuts to the .urd files to open in the Startup folder of the Window Start menu."

...but it also says in there somewhere that in order for it to work you must exit UR by clicking on File>Exit. I don’t do that. Since UR is always open in the system tray (or notification area of the taskbar, in case you're a Microsoft-speak policeman!), it just closes when the system is shutting down. I'm not sure what command the Windows shutdown sequence sends to force applications to close at shutdown. It doesn't use a "kill" command; probably either a "terminate" or "close" command from the system. I guess that doesn’t "save" the "which database to open" info that UR uses to remember. Which is odd because most other applications know where you were when they restart without using File>Exit. Some do it using the Windows prefetch folder.

Maybe kinook can shed some light on that.

Thanks again for your help, $bill!

Jim