View Single Post
Old 07-10-2006, 04:42 PM

Re: +100 for tree filtering (and tree columns)

The lack of tree columns as described below is one main reason why I do not use UR to a great extent. ADM and My Infor both offer tree columns. ADM also offers both hoisting and the option of having the metadata in card form with each document. Zoot has a very sophisticated system of metadata columns and folders, the latter being able to be programmed to take certain automatic actions on data through the setting of rules.

I would also add that Ariadne offers a column capability. While technically you cannot have an Ariadne document attached to a column item, you can use the comment feature as a workaround, and it works just fine.

I think that it is admirable that UR has recognized the value of metadata and moved as far as it has, clearly leaving such outline-based programs as Treepad, MyBase, Maple, MyNotesCentre, etc. behind. However, UR has a ways to go to be fully competitive.

Daly

Quote:
Originally posted by reesd
I'm sorry, was actually stated somewhere that tree filtering isn't in the roadmap? Like you (and many others), I think this is a critical missing feature from UR. It's the reason I still spend most of my time in other tools (and why many of us miss Ecco so much .

I'll add that the other related missing feature is columns in the tree view. Otherwise the user is forced to click on each item (or each of their parents) to see their fields rather than seeing them all together.

So essentially what I am suggesting is we need the features of the "child items" window (filtering and columns) in the tree view. UR's semi-unique alternative for this is the Child Items window. Child Items is an interesting approach that avoids the programming difficulties of a multi-column, tree widget, but (IMHO) its just not intuitive to users and also is not as powerful as true columns and filtering in the tree view.

I'll add one of the key potential values I see in UR is the ability to add custom fields which is one of key values Ecco has/has as well. However, without tree view columns (which Ecco clearly has) their value is much less visible in UR.

Note that both of these features hide easily from new users (they don't see columns or do filtering into they learn and request it).

Finally I'll add that filtered tabs makes more sense and seems to have much more value to me than hoisted tabs (e.g. urgent items, items added in the last week).

Thanks,

d