Thread: UR vs OneNote
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2009, 12:58 PM

Completely different products with different intended uses, IMO.

OneNote is primarily for clipping information from just about anywhere - web or any other info that happens to be on your screen. It is also for creating notes.

Nice ability to drag and drop content to and from anywhere on a page.

I don't like the organization in OneNote. Left side of UI has tabs representing "Notebooks", while tabs across the top of the UI represent "Sections" of each notebook.

Tagging is limited to assigning provided icons/categories to a note. You cannot add your own icons and frankly, the ones they provide are pretty useless. You can supposedly rename categories to your liking - and I have done that several times only to have them revert inexplicably to the original categories. Causing all my added ones to be lost of course.

Organizational strength is supposed to be extremely quick "as-you-type" searching, but that is available only if you install Windows Desktop Search (WDS). Of course WDS comes with Vista but I have had many problems with it on XP-Pro and therefore have uninstalled it. OneNote will not allow any other search engine to replace WDS so if you do not use it you can only search very slowly and not "as-you-type".

Key feature: You can search for text within images, but that only works well using WDS. Doesn't work well at all using any other search facility.

I still use OneNote sparingly, only for web clipping of small areas and for jotting down info quickly into tables. I don't have much use for it otherwise.

Jim