View Single Post
Old 07-16-2007, 10:23 PM

Zargron, Thanks for the detailed breakdown of how this could work. I spent a lot of time with similar (albeit a little different) suggestions a long time ago but to no avail. Unfortunately due to personal time constraints right now, I don't have the time to fully engage in a detailed iterative discussion of how tree filtering could work (I'll defer to my previous posts from long ago).

Rather than try to describe how the tree filtering should be implemented, let me try to explain what I want it to accomplish. I do this for 2 reasons: (1) Maybe others would want similar functionality, (2) maybe Kinook can find the ideal way to implement (since we are not familiar with how the code is designed, it is difficult and pointless for us to suggest approaches that are easier to implement)

I use UR as a project/task manager that has information management integrated, so all info related to each task or project is kept together and is readily accessible. I want tree filtering so that I can see subsets of tasks (with or without all linked info resources) in their hierarchical context (eg, tasks grouped by project, subproject, etc.). Examples of how I would use that:

- hide completed items
- show only high priority items
- show only items due in the next n days
- show only items with certain flag(s) (I use flags to denote task status)

If anyone else uses UR as a project/task manager, I would be interested to know if they would find such capabilities to be useful. If no one else uses UR as a project/task manager, I wonder if that is because these capabilities are not possible.

Kinook, if you have another approach to achieve the above functionaltiy, I would be open to hear it. If you feel that such project/task management functionality is too far outside the scope of what UR is, then let us know.