View Single Post
Old 06-09-2004, 06:12 PM

The hardware story is a little complicated. Our build server is running in a VM on VMware's ESX server. There's two 2.8Ghz Xeon procs with 2.5GB's of RAM. Depending on what the other VM's are doing, there may or may not be a performance hit.

I have done some tweaking to the VM to give it a greater share of the processors which improved my build time. I have also switched to the VisualBuildCmd.exe application after you mentioned it. That change lopped off about 20 minutes on my build right there which is great.

I am curious about the Process Files performance though. In a few cases I've been forced to use non-VisualBuild steps to accomplish a task, for example using the Putty tools (pscp, plink) but I'd hate to have to do that for this step, which is pretty core functionality IMHO that I'd love to get working better. Just out of curiousity I wrote a small C# app that accomplishes the *.exe search and outputs each filename to the console. The first time I ran it, it took amount a minute with approximately 30% CPU usage. I'm guessing due to OS caching, subsequent runs took 7 seconds. Is there anything special that the VisualBuild "Process Files" step does that would explain the overhead?