View Single Post
Old 11-24-2004, 12:17 AM

Hi Chris,

I read your excellent review and agree with everything you said. I feel the same way about Ultra Recall. There are many features I'd like to see added to it, but even as a 1.0 release it's better than anything else I've tried. Like you, I almost didn't try it, because at first glance it appeared to be just another simplistic outliner application.

After Ecco was taken off the market, I bounced back and forth for years, between InfoSelect, ShadowPlan, InfoHandler and PersonalBrain. I even tried apps like Microsoft OneNote and Agilix GoBinder, but I always ended up feeling that the information was controlling me, rather than the other way around. Now that I've started putting everything into Ultra Recall, I feel like a great weight has been lifted and I'm finally able to get a handle on all the complexities of my life.

I noticed that you also gave a very favorable review to NoteStudio. Coincidentally, I briefly toyed with NoteStudio prior to discovering Ultra Recall, but I never made a serious effort to use it because I felt that its completely free-form design would lead to my ending up with another big mess on my hands. However, I'm very intrigued by the whole wiki concept and I think it would have tremendous potential if it was implemented within the confines of a highly structured application like Ultra Recall. One of my postings in the Suggestions forum is a long back and forth conversation I had with Kevin about this.

Imagine how powerful a "wiki-ized" Ultra Recall would be. It woud truly give you the best of both worlds. You'd have all your information arranged in a neatly structured hierarchy, yet at the same time, you'd be able to create unlimited associations between items and jump around randomly through the tree by linking any text to any Info Item in the Data Explorer. Other outliners, like InfoSelect, support linking, but only between nodes on the tree, not by creating hyperlinks within the actual content of the node.