View Single Post
Old 02-05-2006, 04:27 PM

Quote:
It is true that where specialized database programs are available for professional use, they are often better than the jack of all trades products. But isn't there a need for the latter too?
I agree with you 100% about the 2 types of databases. But people don't <b>use</b> a database. First they create a database structure, then they create some type of interface to input and extract the data they need: they take Type2 and create Type1 for their specialized use.

In the freeform database programs I have been testing, there is no distintion between structuring the database and entering data. You can't make a specialized application out of it. Or rather, you are perpetually making a specialized application out of it.

Quote:
A most interesting observation. "Flexibility" has become a catechism. For better and to a slight extent for worse, UR--unlike many--actually delivers on this promise.
I agree again, and for applications like collecting webpages or cataloging documents with complex metadata, UR beats other outliners hands down.