View Single Post
Old 09-09-2010, 07:52 PM

@wordmuse: Yeah, the graphical interface thing is a mixed bag, to be sure. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I don't find the tag cloud model very useful beyond a narrow scope. I was using "graphical" somewhat loosely. What I'm really looking for is an interface that can provide me with a lot of information at one time. Not ALL the information, of course. And herein lies the detail devil. What do I want to see in a given "paper view" of my data? What are my options for determining the criteria by which my chosen view is narrowed down to my current view? That's what I'm really after, is an "elegant flexibility." If you do check out Tabbles, be sure to read through their documentation. The system is a little opaque at first, but if you spend a little time acquainting yourself with their way of doing things, I think you'll appreciate the power and flexibility of their approach. (Assuming, of course, that their goals correspond to what you need!) I've also found them amazingly responsive to feedback and support requests. BTW, Tabbles can also tag web pages, and recently they've added a very innovative and clever system for sharing/syncing tags between one user's pcs or between multiple users. It's definitely one of the coolest applications I've come across in years. If you get interested, I'll see you over in the Tabbles forums!

That was a bit of a digression, so just to get back to keywords (tags) in UR, a few features strike me as key:
(1) being able to access keyword functions for a given item quickly and with flexibility (e.g., can I quickly and easily add multiple tags to the current item?; can I get autofill for existing tags?);
(2) being able to explore items using a tree-like map of contingencies/logical arguments (tag=x + tag=y, or tag=x but tag=z)?: and
(3) being able to see and manipulate tags when viewing items as one does in the course of using UR (again, Evernote 3.x does this pretty well: you see the tags as little ovals with the tag text inside, and there is an "x" you can click to remove the tag, etc.

Cheers,
David