View Single Post
Old 02-02-2007, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kinook
Not in v3.0. There doesn't actually seem to be a lot of consensus on the best way to implement it. And implementing it in a fashion that accommodates the various needs and doesn't hinder overall performance will not be trivial.

Multiple tabs, favorites, and auto-collapse of siblings/auto-scroll to top allow you to approximate this feature already. Yes, this isn't true hoisting, but we have to balance the level of effort for this enhancement with many other requested features that can't even be approximated.
Do you mean there doesn't seem to be much consensus at your end, among the programmers, for how to implement it?

Among the users there is as much consensus as one is likely to see on the need for a new feature -- and the consensus seems to be that hoisting is the way to solve the problems of a list getting too long and a PITA to work with.

I understand the need to balance requests, and time benefit ratios in terms of implementing them. However, if you were to take a poll on the weight of each requesst among users, I suspect hoisting would be close to the top.

Approximations are work-arounds by another name -- and in this case for many of us, who have been working with hoisting since the days of DOS, the work-arounds are not very satisfactory.

Hoisting is the best way to get a clear focus on a very specific part of the outline in a hurry.

I do not understand how a hoisting feature would interfere wtih program performance. Hoisting is lightening fast in programs that offer it, and other aspects of those programs seem to be fast as well.

Please, please seriously reconsider your position on hoisting. I was seriously hoping that after the lengthy discussion here that hoisting would be offered in the next major upgrade.

Thank you.

Daly