View Single Post
Old 03-18-2007, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by michaelkenward

My research material consists essentially of email, PDF files, documents (mostly Word) and web grabs.
All the things you mentioned, UR keywords automatically. Keywords can be retrieved for the following file types:

· HTML (web pages)

· Internet Explorer Favorites

· MHT (web pages saved by Internet Explorer)

· Microsoft Office documents (including Word, Excel, and Powerpoint)

· Microsoft Outlook (messages + attachments for known document types, contacts, appointments, tasks or notes)

· Firefox/Netscape/Mozilla bookmarks

· Email messages (Outlook Express messages and news posts and any MIME file, including attachments for known document types)

· PDF

· Pictures and other documents with summary information

· RTF (rich text)

· Text (system code page, UTF-8 and UTF-16 encodings)

· XML (most encodings)

· ZIP (any supported file types found in the ZIP file)

· TIFF documents containing OCR text (Microsoft Office Document Imaging)

Quote:
Originally posted by michaelkenward
There is no structure that will hold this information in ways that will retrieve it consistently. That's because a structure that works for one task will not work for another.

I am a writer who covers many different topics. I can file something about venture capital under "finance" but when I want to know what "venture capital" has done for the "fuel cell" business I need to be able to search accordingly. I cannot anticipate the strange combinations that are likely to come up in the future.
ok, so if there is no structure in your information (or at least you think there isnt), I suggest you try SearchInform (free for one database), which provides morphology/fuzzy/phrase/closedness/... search. I use it for the information that I have not processesed yet or which is not essential for my needs.