View Single Post
Old 03-20-2007, 07:31 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by michaelkenward
I came here eagerly hoping to find something that I could use to replace Onfolio, a fine piece of software killed off by Microsoft.

Sadly, I find that Ultra Recall is stuck in the old model, insisting that folks use its own built in search engine.

It is as if Google and the whole move to desktop search (DTS) does not exist.

Today, no software has a hope in hell of success unless it works with the X1 or Google and Microsoft DTS and many more. There is even a technology to make it happen, the iFilter.

One alternative to Onfolio, Websearch, has recognised this need. Sadly, they believe that the only one that matters is Microsoft's DTS. (In reality, even though I am an X1 fan, if you want to support just one option, it should probably be Google DTS.)
We would like to support GDS and WDS, but unfortunately IFilter is not enough for files that themselves have a lot of structure and most likely a lot of data (see the 6th post in this thread for details). Newer versions of these products have been released since we last investigated this, so we'll look again to see if things have improved.

Also, utilizing export sets and command-line export in UR v3 Pro, it is possible to automate export of all items in UR as documents to a folder that will be indexed by (any) desktop search product.