Thread: Gmail
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2007, 04:54 AM

Gmail and UR

This thread about GMail is very interesting.

It seems to me that the success of GMail points to a major dilemma for computer users. I use and love GMail. But it has taken me one step away from having all my data in one place. Intead, I still find that I need several databases to achieve what I want, in particular, I use:

- UR for nearly all types of important data that I wish to organise and keep long term, and importantly, favorites as well.

- InfoSelect for quick scratchings which I don't have time to organise too well, just because it works that bit faster than UR.

- Unfortunately, Windows Explorer for the majority of my photographs (because UR does not really support thumbnails)

- ListPro for my ToDo lists (UR for me isn't good on simple ToDo lists in spread-sheet type format)

- Personal Information Keeper from High Criteria for phrases and passwords

- And now I also have considerable data in GMail. (Maybe I should periodically import all my GMail data, but it seems like hard work).

The holy grail for me is to have all my data in one place.

Anything Kinook can do to make any of these other information sources redundant would therefore be most welcome, and GMail for me is the most important alternative information source and therefore the one I would most like to see fully integrated into UR.

I have a vision that in another ten years time all my data really will be in one place, but in truth I doubt it!