Thread: Gmail
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2006, 11:34 AM

Gmail

Does anyone use Gmail and UR, ie, using UR to link/store Gmail messages or conversations in the UR hierachy? If so, any suggestions as to how to make that work well?

What I would really like to do is to be able to link an entire Gmail conversation to a UR item. Then selecting that conversation would show the Gmail page with that conversation including all new emails received in that conversation. In essence, I want to link to an email conversation that is dynamically updated as messages arrive into that conversation.

I have tried to do this a couple of ways. If you navigate to a Gmail conversation in the UR browser, you can then drag the URL from the web address bar onto an info item to create a Document info item that is a link to that conversation. That does work except when you then select that Document info item, while the conversation is displayed properly, it is missing some buttons (eg, Archive, Delete, More Actions drop down) and most of the Javascript doesn't work on the page (you can't reply, can't expand previous message in thread). So it is ok for static viewing but you can't reply, archive, delete, expand, etc.

I have also tried using the Gmail basic HTML interface (ie, without Javascript). I can create a Document info item with a URL that links to the Gmail conversation in basic HTML view, but when a new message in that conversation is received, then that link will no longer bring up that conversation, which defeats the purpose.