View Single Post
Old 07-24-2006, 10:52 PM

drag and drop to mindmanager

In UR 2.0c, there's the quite useful Ctrl Shift I, which allows copying of a specific URL to a specific UR item.

But it's clumsy to use in Mindmanager, which could be a very useful front end visualization of the data contained in a UR db.

I've written a little macro that allows me to copy a UR URL, paste into a MM branch, then convert that branch into a hyperlink. Here are the necessary keystrokes in Aimkeys (you'd probably have to tweak it for whatever macro program you're using).

<f2><right><ctrl><shift><left><left><left><ctrl><s hift><ctrl>x<ctrl><ctrl>k<ctrl>C:\Program Files\UltraRecall\UltraRecall.exe<alt>o<alt><alt>a <alt><ctrl>v<ctrl><enter><shift><tab><shift><shift ><tab><shift><shift><tab><shift><enter>

For this to work, the option in UR for the command line format has to be set to:

%DB% /item %ITEM%

This works, but it's obviously a kludge. I would think that it would be trivial to be able to create a drag and drop, so that I could drag an item from UR and drop it on to a MM to create a branch with the appropriate name, any "notes" in a text box, and most important a hyperlink to the UR item.

What I don't know is whether this is something UR can do by itself, or whether MM has to do it. In either case, it seems like again an easy way to leverage great visualization with a great freeform repository/database.

Thanks for listening, and if other users have similar views or kludges, I'd love to hear them.