Thread: Add more flags
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2023, 02:32 AM

Tiny problem in UR, or in my system (Windows 10, keyboard; of course I checked AutoHotkey as the possible source of the problem, but it is not)?

Since we have 20 flags, the "natural" way to assign shortcuts to them would be:

- flags 1 to 10 by shift-control-1...0 (if I remember well, the original default shortcuts were shift-control 1...7 for 1...7, and shift-control-8 for "None")

- (and then, if needed, flags 11 to 20 by control-alt 1...0)

- and shift-control-' (the key right to the 0) for "None"

But I can't assign shift-control-0 to any flag, or to "None"; of course that's a tiny problem, but if the cause is in UR, it might be overcome?

(UR has got some specifics / idiosyncrasies with the keyboard (= with any keyboard), e.g. F6 and shift-F6 are "fixed" in UR for "Next/Prev db", so if I want to use F6 to something else, I must assign e.g. control-F6 in UR instead for that, then assign "control-F6" to F6 in Autohotkey; assigning F6 in UR to that other function seems to work in the assignment dialog, but later on, it's back to "Next db", for an example.)

EDIT:

Users who use more than just a few flags will need custom colors, in order to make those colors distinct AND clearly readable. Unfortunately, the "Custom colors" assignment in the UR dialog is not ideal, and from what I have seen = tried to understand, you first click on a "Custom colors" field (the first one), then on "Define Custom Colors", and then it gets complicated, the UR color picker not being as helpful as it might get. Instead, I just open that, AND https://www.rapidtables.com/web/color/index.html , and I then choose the (always RGB) color range from that page, then refine by the more specific page's specifics, then enter the RGB data into UR dialog's respective fields numerically, then refine the data from what I then see in the UR dialog rectangle.

Then I click on "Add to [sic!] Custom Colors", and this CHANGES the currently selected "Custom color" (e.g. the very first "Custom color" square, for another color you first click the second square, and so on, and then only you click on "Add...") instead, so the dialog's wording is misleading, since clicking on "Add..." does NOT put that color into some new field, but once you "got" that, it becomes much more easy.

Most of the time, your colors will be too light, since for regular text, you'll need darker colors than for a rectangle on screen, so you will have to do some trial-and-error, forth and back between the web page and the UR dialog / Data Explorer in order to check the "end result" of your choice, but from that web page, I got acceptable text colors much easier than just from within the UR dialog only.

Last edited by Spliff; 12-22-2023 at 03:56 AM.