Thread: Date formatting
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2007, 05:36 PM

@quant

thanks for trying to help me and teach me UR ;-) (no offense intended!) and for the time you invested to nearly recreate my own .urd file.

But the point is not (only) to sort the notes, but to have the dates in the explorer - and later on in a printed report (sigh! I would not need it but my customer ...) I want to see the date upfront in the explorer and not in the attributes, when I click in the item.

The create (or modify) date attributes do not suffice, because I quite often enter the data some days later (e.g. after a trip or so).

You are absolutely right about dates and strings, I fully agree, but we are not dealing with a classical DB here - for me that was the reason to buy UR. I like the flexibility to do something on the fly.
I am doing databases for nearly 30 years now (that was back then when we had only 'tables' and no 'relations' ;-) and on the other hand used Lotus Agenda and EccoPro a lot. The biggest problem always was to transfer your valuable data to the next program.

The challenge today is that nearly all programs are so feature-rich, you need a long time to get to know what they offer, and what not. And today I don't have the time to read a complete manual. You search what you need when you need it. I know it sounds ignorant, but thats reality. Who agrees?

Anyhow I learned some things from your example, especially in the searches. I don't search a lot - yet.
Which brings me to some other suggestions: true inheritance of attributes to child nodes, an external database for icons and templates and ...
But more about that later.

Last edited by Ortwin; 02-28-2007 at 05:42 PM.