View Single Post
Old 03-28-2006, 04:50 PM

Sorry for hijacking the thread; it's about importing many emails whereas I was talking about a few emails at a time. UR does import messages faster when they're in bulk, as you can see from the figures below.

My "30 seconds or so" was a bit subjective: a measured test shows that importing 3 .eml messages (4.30, 7.12 and 2.12 KB respectively) took 20 seconds. This is dragging the messages from Explorer and dropping them onto a folder in UR. The UR database is on a local drive. The PC is a 3.2GHz Pentium 4 with 1 GB RAM. The local partition on which the UR database resides is 97 GB with 60 GB free. The UR database is 655 MB and unencrypted.

Doing a bulk import in the same way for 60 messages (average 3 KB), took 1 min 30 secs. So that's about 6 seconds per message when only a few messages and 1.5 seconds per message when there's a larger number. No doubt the average time would drop if there were 100s or 1000s of messages.

Six seconds a message is perhaps not much, but it can seem a while the way I work, which is basically to store all important message in UR at various points throughout the day as I deal with them.