View Single Post
Old 09-06-2007, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cnewtonne
For some reason, Kinook can not get past this RTF issue. I do not see it mentioned in any of the app I have and all do support it. From PIMs, to clipboard extenders, to IDE's, to web editors, to web publishing tools, to automation utilities, to simple note taking apps, to even Wordpad. None of them has issues with it. Why is Kinook so stuck on it?
I completely agree with this. There are TONS of windows applications that have WAY better RTF editors built-in. As example, check out the description from the MyInfo website at http://www.milenix.com/myinfo-features.php (MyInfo is a direct competitor to UR):

Full-Featured Text Editor
MyInfo 3 text editor has a full range of word-processing features. It offers rich text formatting, hyperlinks, tables, pictures, and OLE objects support. MyInfo 3 unique feature are the text formatting styles, which are shared in the whole topic. So you can quickly change the topic look and achieve consistent, professional look of your topics without manual labor.

I'm not saying this to try to humiliate the UR development team. I LOVE UR! I bought version 1.0 the very first day it was available for sale. I have always thought UR was a revolutionary product, which is why I'm baffled that it has such an embarassingly primitive text editor. I don't know if this is due to stubornness on the part of the UR developers or if it's just not a high priority for them. I understand the argument they make about the necessity for a Visual C++ RTF component, but I have to believe that there are tons of these components on the market. I highly doubt that the developers of MyInfo created their own RTF editor. That seems highly implausible to me. I mean look at all the shareware and freeware applications on the market that have awesome RTF editors built in. Does anyone think that these guys working out of their basement on their little freeware apps created their own RTF editors? I think not!

Come on guys...let's figure out what needs to be done and make it happen. Maybe this is an issue of cost to buy a license for a better RTF component? If that's the case, I bet many UR customers would be willing to pay extra to have access to such a component. Maybe you could sell it as an optional add-on to UR, for those users who consider this feature important enough to pay extra for. I know I would be at the front of line!