View Single Post
Old 07-09-2007, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kinook
Filtering will have to load bottom up, or at least process every single node to determine whether it and its parents should be shown in the tree. And performance will be impacted significantly, since every node must be processed and a query performed for each to filter properly.
Thanks for the explanation. I understand that that could be prohibitively slow, although only when in filtered mode and with a large tree. If you could apply the filter to a particular branch, then a filter could be created that was quick and useful.

That said, even if the filter was applied from the top down, that would be useful. eg, when expanding a branch, hide any items that don't meet the filter criteria and hide those items' children. ie, hide the whole branch. Then the filter would only be applied when expanding a branch and would only be applied to those immediate children. Wouldn't that have much less of an impact on performance? I know that is different than what has been discussed before but still useful with more careful filter definitions.

btw, quant, thanks for the idea about a tree-like view in search results. what you describe would be similar to what I just described above... ie, every item in the tree would have to pass the filter criteria. I think it would need to work like I described though otherwise you could have some items that match the filter whose parents don't. How would they be depicted in a hierarchy if their parents are not? Would be a little confusing I think.