View Single Post
Old 07-02-2008, 06:54 PM

To Beat a Dead Horse...

Some time back there was a thread about UR's Document Template (which I still don't understand how and when to use). After reading three quotes, you will find a simple question at the end, so please bear with me.

StephenUK wrote:

Yes, the program [UR] has amazing depth and grows on you the more you use it. But maybe that Documents template is a tad difficult to comprehend? These are not easy concepts for a beginner and definatey demand a strong cup of coffee. It would be interesting to poll the average IQ of those using UR... For all my law, economics and business qualifications, I still find it takes a bit of getting used to!

Janrif wrote:

StephenUK, going backwards, I agree URp deserves a wider audience. However, I don't know how wide an audience it already has. Having said that, I also agree that the document template is a bit confusing.

IMO, part of it has to do w the User Guide which is complete but not really helpful for a non-technically oriented person (like me, for instance). Altho all the information is there, what it lacks is simple things like:In order to do this task, go to main menu, click x, select y, push <ENTER> key. (See image) etc.

Then Zargron wrote:

I agree. I've got a pretty strong technical background, so the User Guide was actually a draw card for me embracing UR. I enjoyed having to slow down from my normal rate of reading to carefully digest each new term and concept least I miss out anything important. It takes a lot of time to put together user documentation. For more sales - yes Kinook should perhaps put together a really basic user guide. Deliberately leaving the heavy stuff out. For keeping us lot happy - spend the time on development. What do you do hey...?

----------

OK. I have a simple, basic question that I couldn't find answered adequately in UR's spectacularly unhelpful help file (please spare us comments on how well-organized it is. We can see that.).

When draging and dropping material (files, webpages, etc.) into Data Explorer, what difference does it make whether it is dumped into a Folder, a Text, a Document, Notes, whatever? When should you use one, when should you use another, because they all seem to work the same regardless of the data? Now try to explain this briefly in simple English. Then go and look at how it is explained in UR's "help" file.

If you say, "To me the help file's Document Template explanation is clear as day," then I guess StephenUK's mention of IQ is relevant. Yes, there are a few users out there (e.g., Zargron) who enjoy the intellectual challenge of figuring out the intricacies and subtleties of the program (in my case I usuallly figure out things accidentally, or after reading the forums, and never after reading the "help" file), but as it now stands UR will never enter mainstream popularity like EverNote or OneNote or similar products, though it is unquestionably superior, even as a simple PIM.

I (and others) have asked Kinook several times about this, so maybe this time will be a charm (or the squeaky-wheel principle will take effect). Please revamp the help file and offer online videos that explain in simple English how the program actually works. The four out-of-date ones currently online are worse than useless. They are irritating. Just make sure the (cognitive style) field-dependent UR programmers aren't involved.