View Single Post
Old 07-03-2008, 05:13 AM

Re: Nice try, but ...

Quote:
Originally posted by tfjern
Your explanation is slightly more lucid than the help file you refer to, which reads:

The Document Core Template defines Info Items that reference any type of document. Any Info Item based on a Template in the Document Template Group has an URL Attribute which can be populated with the location of the referenced document.

[Many of the terms are hyperlinked, and everything looks nice and neat, but one quickly tires after looking up some of the arcane terminology.]
This terminology might seem arcane to you, because you've probably never came across it before. UR is a front-end to sql database, and if you've never dealt with databases before, I completely understand your frustration if you are coming from the PIM that doesn't offer attributes, templates, etc ...

These users are probably overwhelmed by too many new terms that they might come to the conclusion that UR is geeky and help file actually not helpful. UR helpfile is actually very comprehensive (and heavily hyperlinked which helps a lot), users just need to take time to digest new information slowly.

More examples, online videos, etc. will certainly help, but it will still take much more time than other PIMs, simply because you are learning completely new subject. If I were you, I wouldn't have too high expectations about these new videos etc., you might be disappointed. They won't miraculously make you understand everything in a day or week or even a month. It will still require a lot of work from your side to grasp everything. Whether you are ready to devote that much time to recover full power of UR (and any database related software) is another question.

Last edited by quant; 07-03-2008 at 06:02 AM.