View Single Post
Old 08-14-2021, 05:48 AM

Oh, thank you, Kyle, that worked now! Nowhere in the help file it's mentioned that user formatting highlight settings also work for the search results (just Rich Text and web page editing are mentioned somewhere to which those highlight settings apply), or then that the search text highlighting color can be user-changed to begin with.

I don't have the slightest idea btw how this setting would have been de-set in my case - I never use text highlighting, so don't had any motivation to change it (I just use italicising, and then bolding or bolding plus underlining for different levels of "highlighting"), and to speak more generally, the scope and the persistance of settings changes imply a lot of trial and error, not from the technical side, but from the user perspective, considering user errors will have very unwanted effects, also and especially because of scope questions: current database, or then current and future databases, or then current and all (incl. existing) databases, and then, persistence only if the database you do the settings changes in, is the current one (and not only "open") when you close UR - lots of ways user errors or just misconceptions can have unwanted effects, whilst on the technical level, everything works as "expected".

EDIT:

In order to make this more constructive, here's an example from just yesterday. I had loaded all my 23 UR databases (I had split those I had before as far as reasonable), then I had succeeded in setting for them, one-by-one (since these settings are database-specific), to set the columns for all existing items (by search for *, then re-setting the columns) and for all my future items (by setting them for the Template "Text").

Also, one-by-one again, for every one of the 23 databases, I had manually reset the "coordinates" (not by numbers though) of the Child Items pane, FROM
Left: Data Explorer 80 p.c., beneath it Child Items 20 p.c.,
Right: Content pane, beneath it Item Parents, Item Attributes, Search (these from left to right there and just the caption plus 3 lines/rows)
TO
the same, but Data Explorer just the caption plus two lines (two instead of one, in order to give space for a possible horizontal scrolling indicator), and with Child Items the rest of the left part.

This in order to have the Search Results (i.e. the same pane as Child Items which I don't use for that) almost full-screen-height, and with it disappearing, AND automatically resizing by that (!!!), the Data Explorer to almost full screen height when I then hide the Search Results (as described above); this seemed to work fine.

Today, ALL my Child Itrems panes are back in their old position and with their old size (see "FROM" above), so I'll probably have to work on my 23 UR databases with this again, one-by-one, and not even knowing what went wrong with my assumed "scope error". It's very probably my mistake again, but I'm not happy about the fact that UR has me making such mistakes, without any warning (upon closing the database(s) in question for example), let alone some possible hint WHY this will not be persistent. (My (unique) pane "layout" is identical in all my existing databases since I did it manually (with success at the time) for the then existing ones, and created the additional ones from a "specimen" one I had created with the then-wanted settings and layout; obviously, this is only possible for newly-created databases and will not "work on" the existing ones.

I currently suppose that it might possibly have missed because of some "minimal size" for the Data Explorer upon saving / new loading, but I then would have liked to get that information when resizing the Data Explorer to so tiny a format, instead of my new format for it just not being stored beyond the session. Or then, it's another system(at)ic "scope-and/or-persistence problem" I'm not aware of...

Last edited by Spliff; 08-14-2021 at 08:32 AM.