View Single Post
Old 12-19-2019, 09:12 AM

Manual intervention step

I have some situations that require manual intervention before proceeding to the next step. I used to shell out to Notepad to open a text file so a human could review the results. That did a great job of waiting until Notepad was closed before the next step would proceed; however, I'm redoing that process so I don't always have to stop and look at things.

Now I analyze data and have a flag value in a macro that indicates if a human needs to look at something before proceeding. Most of the time it isn't necessary to pause. Wait doesn't seem to be quite what I want. I really want it to pause until a human says go (or decides to kill the script). When it's time to pause, a human needs to be able to review values in macros and determine what to do. I haven't found a convenient way to do this in VBP. I've looked at some other threads about pauses and manual intervention, but they seem to be hacks.

Maybe I'll try Wait for a very long time and then press Ctrl+C to continue, as was suggested elsewhere. That doesn't feel right, but it might work. I wish there was a manual break or something like that where I just press the "play" button to continue.

Are there any better alternatives that I'm missing?