View Single Post
Old 11-24-2004, 07:47 PM

Hi Brad,

Yes, I know I'm asking for something that is quite demanding but I don't mean renaming a file in Windows Explorer. What I mean is having WE functionality built in directly into the information management application itself, meaning that the copy/rename/move function is done within the application itself, not using WE.

A very good file organizer I found is Atlast! File Notes Organizer. It is a WE replacement and allows comments to be added to each file/folder as well as the creating of virtual catalogs and bookmarks. These comments do not disappear if the copy/rename/move function is done within FNO itself but will instead be "carried over" to the resulting file/folder. But unfortunately FNO does not have much of UR's information management capabilities such as building knowledgebases and interlinking files/data.

Another reason why I prefer not to import all files into UR and replace WE altogether is that very frequently in my work, I write programs/macros to achieve certain tasks and these programs contain references to other folders where data files are stored. If all files have been imported into UR, then these programs would not work. In my opinion, a WE-like structure will always be needed for the above reasons.

Of course, a possible solution is to create a central folder and dump everything into it but this makes things very messy.

The above seems to be a dichotomy between file organizers and information managers. To be truly flexible, an organizer needs to have the capabilities of both file and information managers. I've searched the net for such an organizer but have found none so far though UR is near to what I've been looking for. If there is such an organizer, I wouldn't even hesitate to get it (of course, provided the price is reasonable!)

Gilbert