View Single Post
Old 01-14-2006, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kinook

The only way this will get fixed is if the WindowBlinds folks make their product more compatible with plain vanilla Windows so that the tree component works properly under WindowBlinds. We haven't heard much from them on the issue yet. Their contact info is support@stardock.com (reference Ticket ID AKC-878389, SftTree/DLL WindowBlinds incompatibility).
They say it's on their list. The problem, however, is not an incompatibility between the Windows component and Windowblinds, unless my assumption is wrong that the "Windows tree expander" is a single Windows component. If there were an incompatibility between that component and Windowblinds, the problem would occur whenever it Windowblinds encountered a Windows tree, whereas the only place it occurs that I know of is in the UR Data Explorer. The Windowblinds people tentatively seem to confirm my impression that the implementation in UR is faulty due to its not allowing the expander to be sized. It is actually visible that the expander in the Data Explorer gets too large with Windowblinds. But this doesn't happen in any other Windows trees, and plenty of them exist. It even works in programs which don't allow the user to change the font size, and the font size is as small as in UR.

Unless there are multiple Windows expander components that are inserted in different programs, this seems clearly an issue the tree manufacturer ( or grower, as it were) is responsible for. Blanket refusal to take responsibility for compatibility with third party programs seems unreasonable, where the incompatibility is the result of a component's failing to perform properly.